What is Adopt-a-Bench?
Flushing Meadows Corona Park is a 898 acre park in Queens. It is surrounded by 6 different Community Boards and his home to world famous cultural and athletic facilities. The park serves as a haven where both New Yorkers and visitors alike can enjoy nature in an urban environment. Help us care for our parks while leaving your mark!
Your tax-deductible donation of $2,500 supports our park and will pay for the installation of a personalized message on a plaque for your favorite park bench. Adopt-a-Bench is the perfect way to honor a loved one, celebrate a special occasion or anniversary, recognize a community member, or leave birthday wishes or proposals!
Once you have made your donation, the process from start to finish takes approximately three months.
Plaques remain on the benches for the life of the bench, which is approximately 10 years. If within that time, the bench or plaque is damage or vandalized, NYC Parks will replace that bench and/or plaque at no cost to you.
How can I adopt a bench?
1. Get started: Contact the Alliance for Flushing Meadows Corona Park emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (718) 760-6865.
2. Choose a bench: Identify which bench you would like to adopt. Send photographs of the bench and a short description of the location to confirm availability. If you are unable to visit the park, we can help choose a bench for you.
3. Mail the donation form and check: Send in the completed donation form and check, payable to the City Parks Foundation.
4. Write your inscription: Send your inscription the way you’d like it to appear on the plaque, and the engraver will develop a proof. With your approval, the plaque will be produced.
5. Enjoy the bench: You will be notified once the Park Manager has installed the plaque, and the plaque will be on the bench for all to enjoy!
What do the plaques usually look like?
The plaques are 5.5” wide and 1.875” tall, stainless steel with a light border engraved ¼” from the edge. You can leave any kind of message – marriage proposals, memorials, birthday wishes, and miscellaneous notes – with NYC Parks’ approval. There is no character limit but remember – the more text you wish to have on the plaque, the smaller the text will be. You can use any formatting or font that you’d like, or we can recommend one for you. See the Bench Plaque Layout sheet for layout options.
What does it cost?
The cost to adopt a bench in Flushing Meadows Corona Park is $2,500. Your contributions are tax-deductible. We also accept Matching Gifts towards bench adoptions – ask your employer for more details.
Please download our Adopt-a-Bench Donation Form to donate